Thursday, January 12, 2012

I sweat the small stuff (literally)


One very distinct memory I have growing up is my dad sweating profusely. Like, I was really worried that something was wrong with him. Big sweaters, those Valentines. He'd joke about it as he'd run marathons or work in the yard, but it was a very distinct indication that he was (still is) a hard worker, but it was really gross. Soaked headbands and t-shirts, gross. I cannot emphasize how much sweat he sweat enough.

I hated sweating. I avoided it at all costs growing up. Whether it was trying to dab my forehead with a paper towel under my high Aqua-netted bangs during the ridiculously humid Nebraska summers, or avoiding strenuous activity during high school "toning" class, I thought I had inherited my mother's ability to "glisten," and not sweat like my Dad.

Then, six months ago, I joined the gym. I haven't always been inactive, it's just when I started running 2 years ago, I ran outside and somehow that made it seem like I sweat less. Maybe I just didn't notice what was going on because I was too busy crying at how tired I was. Or maybe there just aren't any mirrors outside, I don't know. But being inside the gym, fans a'blazing, entering this "new world," I discovered that I'm a Valentine after all.

I now know that my condition requires specialized clothing. If I wear a cotton t-shirt or pant, and not that GoDry, DryLux, KeepYouDry material, I literally soak it in an interesting and embarrassing pattern (I'm not going to expand on this point--super gross). My hair--my entire ponytail-- is soaking wet. I'm sorry I have to be so specific here, but it is pretty freeing: I sweat as much as a grown human can possibly sweat and not be studied for medical purposes!

I know people have all these theories about "sweating out toxins" and whatnot. I don't know if that's true--I'm not an expert. But I like to think that it's melted fat. I know, this post is getting grosser and grosser. But one thing I've learned from my family-doctor-brother Chris is that even if something's NOT true, but you really believe it, it can have positive physical benefits (please don't read too much into the plasebo effect reaching out into other areas of my life). Now I love to sweat--I embrace is as a physical manifestation of my family history and melting fat (disgusting, but effective).

Which lead me to think about, and now embarrass myself about, another "self-discovery" I've made due to the sweating: A woman who has given birth several times should be compressed when exercising. I naively thought that when I lost a bunch of weight, my stomach would look better. Silly me! It has been a harsh and humbling lesson to learn that no matter how much I weigh or tone my muscles, my stomach will always tell the tale of Miles, Owen, Phoebe, Hugh, and Margaret. Which is not really a big deal because I wear good pants. As I should.

Please believe me when I say I know which fabrics I need to wear when I exercise as to embarrass myself the least amount possible (according to my delusional perspective).

Josh, one of my favorite people, is the manager of the Old Navy store in American Fork, and I was laughing about my new found love of sweating and he asked me if I wanted to blog about their sale on Active Wear and their new "compression line," which of course I wanted to because I was really, in actuality, going to go to the sale and buy some sassy pants. (I like to be upfront about these things). A couple of months ago I bought their compression yoga pants and long running pants when they went on sale and they're my favorites and I can actually afford them (I won't spend more than $30 on exercise pants. I was just born that way.) They have a deal going on right now where their new compression pants and tanks --everything ActiveWear--adults and kids--is on sale. Each store is doing a different promotion, but I got these super GoDry compression pants (with fold-over tummy sucking capability!) for a steal. And a tank. And a shirt. And I might go back and get some more pants tomorrow.

Kacy waiting for me to try on everything on sale. It took a while. . .Take a look at her journey HERE.
American Fork Manager, Josh Bingham. Super helpful and friendly!
I can run in these pants and my stomach will stay put!
The back of this shirt has a air-dry panel in the back like it was MADE FOR ME~!
Kacy tries on some GoDry ActiveWear and immediately gains "street cred."

We were so hot and tired after trying on all those clothes that it took Route 44's to cool us down! (I'm not exaggerating about the sweat)

20 comments:

  1. It is SO important to stay hydrated, Lisa. Even I know that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just telling Josh the other day that I needed to start wearing a sweatband around my head! It was due to the fact that TWO days in a row, at the gym, sweat poured into my eyes and all of the rest of my body was too sweaty to wipe it away. So I just finished my workout with one eye closed. I'm so awesome at the gym! I'm so with you -- I sweat a freakily abnormal amount. Even when I wear as little clothing as possible at the gym. And I LOVE Old Navy's activewear. I was hesitant to buy it, because I thought my 5 year old stinky Target workout wear should still be okay, but I did, and it's awesome. You look smoking HOT, by the way -- in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look freaking awesome! You give me hope, as I am a bit behind you in the pursuit of retro fitting this baby having body.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a sweater! I thought I was the only one to get it in my hair too! I also get a ridiculously bright red face, so attractive. I have taken to doing my winter outdoor walks in just a tshirt so I can avoid the gross sweating. Yes, I'd rather freeze to death than sweat profusely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, I think I should add that I don't go out in JUST a tshirt, I do wear trousers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a sweat-er, but I could use some compression pants. Oh, yes, I could.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two words: Certain Dry. You put it on the night before. It's that powerful. I'm a NERVOUS sweater, ala Tommy Boy. It's very horrible. I have to choose special "no-show" dresses when I teach Relief Society (or even conduct the meeting) because of nervous sweating.There is a picture of the Relief Society presidency (with me as secretary) and I have huge pit stains in it. It's horrifying. Because of your blog and Kacy's I ended up buying some of those pants and a hoodie. Unfortunately I can't wear them to church on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Carly on the Certain Dry. Works wonders especially during "spotlight" moments when everyone's eyes are on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post was both fun and informative, which is exactly what I need to see in January. So, I went to Old Navy and spent way too much on Active wear (and other things because there was a sale and because there was a cute shirt with birds on it!) but I feel satisfied with my purchases, so I thank you, Lisa, Josh and Kacy.

    But Lisa, how do you get the compression tank over your head? I got the thing on this morning, but now I'm afraid I'm going to have to wear it for the rest of my life. I suppose there are worse things!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am SO with you on the loving the sweat, thing (that is where you were going, right?). While I'm a chubby pregnant chick and haven't had a good work out in...whatever, I remember when I was training for Ragnar how much I loved sweating. I know, it's weird, but I felt like I was really accomplishing something and really make my body better. Sweat on my collarbone and ankles was strangely rewarding (too much? moving on...). I had NO idea about the Active Wear business and you can bet your compression pants I'll be investing in some of that goodness. You should be so proud of all your hard work, you look AMAZING and I can't say anything about you without prefacing it with, "And man, have you seen her lately?? She looks incredible".

    PS - about blogging when you're mad? Yeah...yeah, I just did that. Last night. Not sure it was a smart move.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't talk about sweat much, but I do have a strange sweat-bit: Once upon a time, twenty years ago, my dad had this weird thing where he sweat on one side of his body. After going to several doctors, he finally went to a chiropractor, who adjusted his back once and he stopped the weird one sided thing.

    Also, I'm sad that I live in a lame town that does not even have an Old Navy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the Certain Dry suggestions. I am seriously going to buy some. And, yes, I should have explained how difficult it is to put on the compression tanks. But, then once you get one off, you're not going to change your mind and be like, "Nevermind. . ." but that is the real reason Kacy and I needed big drinks--all that changing in and out of compression material wore us out and made us super thirsty. I love any and all sweating stories. Gross, I know, but it makes me feel like I'm in an exclusive club, and not just a weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So weird-just went back to the gym today and was feeling shallow or dumb that I felt it was important to feel good and feel I looked good and am wearing appropriate and comfy workout clothes that will help me want to work out and not feel extra bad with jiggle and such! I didn't even know Old Navy had exercise clothes (I hope they do in Canada). I have a lot of Lululemon from years as a yoga instructor but since I no longer get a discount they are not an everyday purchase!!!!
    Thx for this post!
    Lola
    http://www.sandiandlola.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lisa! My husband sweats a LOT but I actually have the opposite problem where it takes me a really (oddly) long time to break a sweat. My dad is the same way and ( this may sound weird) but I always wondered if that had anything to do with our migraine problems..
    Anyway, the old navy wear looks great! Have you ever tried Under Armour? Not sure if it's as popular there as it is here in MD. My first cousin is one of the 3 guys who started that company and they make reply great wicking material sports gear. Anyway, that's awesome you joined a gym!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Right here you could always go with services that include genuine U.S.A Facebook Suches as for including charm right into your facebook ID. buy targeted usa facebook likes

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a wonderful article, Given so much info in it, These type of articles keeps the users interest in the website, and keep on sharing more ... good luck. north Carolina author

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for supporting your time to post such an interesting & useful content.Thank you so much, I appreciate your work.
    Nifty Future Tips

    ReplyDelete